Tuesday, August 7, 2018

August 2018 Bookclub News



***



Dear Bookclub,
Fantasizing about spending 5 days in Aspen, doing nothing but read, actually came to fruition as I felt way less than my 110%, handicapped by altitude sensitivity and a cold.  Truly drained and drugged, 'lounging', i.e., trying to get through the days, I began and finished "The Power" in two dreadful days. I had planned to participate in far more: a bike ride designed for conference spouses, historic tour and fly fishing for the same, shopping in a mecca designed for Lynn Kaufman. Instead, cocooned in a vast suite in Snowmass, I entered Naomi Alderman's fiercely imagined world of power. Devouring the first half or so of Alderman's "The Power", I transitioned to a 'get-this-over-with' mode as discomfort from the pages overpowered, pun intended, any other distress. The parallels to a reversed society are eerie and clever. Looking forward to talking this one inside out and backwards.




...from little NPR blurb:
https://www.npr.org/2017/12/26/573507226/in-the-power-women-develop-a-weapon-that-changes-everything



The girls: Margaret Atwood and Naomi Alderman


***(Hiking around Maroon Bells, above, once I had acclimated, was cleansing - it smelled sooooo good!)



Wanda's suggestions for an upcoming read:

"My Way Home" Michael Gaulden
"Educated: A Memoir" Tara Wetover
"The Electric Woman" Tessa Fontaine

See you tomorrow!
LK

No comments:

Post a Comment